Monday, February 11, 2008

Heartbreak Kids


Kids everywhere love to wave at news vans, and these cuties sit in front of the house that is next to our hotel.

Child abuse is a huge problem here and it usually comes up when people are discussing story ideas. Noora arranged for me to have lunch with a SriLankan reporter for AFP. She told me that UNICEF and other NGOs are growing frustrated with their inability to catch the predators. The usual custom is to banish the abuser who is free to vicitmize children somewhere else. Where's Dateline NBC when you need them?

The Sri Lankan is here to train business reporters. Business reporting is pretty difficult when there is no requirement for companies to disclose real financial statements.

1 comment:

Debra Jarvis said...

Terry,

So are you going to do a story on child abuse? I think you should go for it! I truly believe that exposing crimes raises awareness and mitigates fear. And talking about it gives power!

Stay well, my friend!