Friday, May 28, 2010

Spa Bliss

Maldives is entering the rainy season, a slow time for the resorts. The Vadoo resort had a half-empty feeling, and most of the visitors were Chinese couples. Since the Euro economic downturn, China has accounted for more visitors to Maldives and they don't spend as much on such things as cocktails and spa treatments. Like the many Chinese passing through my hotel in Male, they are mostly here to snap lots of photos of each other.So, business has been pretty slow at the Coconut spa, where the Balinese spa technicians gave me the red carpet treatment. Prices were only slightly lower than what you might pay at Burke-Williams, a total of $143 for a one-hour Balinese Dream massage and a Refresher facial that involved covering my face with honey and cucumbers. I felt like a salad but woke up with smoother and brighter skin. The treatment rooms have a panoramic view of the ocean.A bit of resort history. Vadoo was the location of the very first resort bungalow in Maldives, some 30 years ago. Now, it's a museum of island life. The resort has 50 newly renovated water villas.

1 comment:

Salons in indore said...

Your blog has always attracted me and this particular post left me speechless. It is one of the best pieces of writing I have seen. Good job.