Sunday, May 2, 2010

Press Freedom Day


Press Freedom Day isn't a big deal in the US. After all, we have our first amendment, which guarantees that Congress shall make "no law" interfering with freedom of speech and of the press. But May 3 is a big day in parts of the world where journalists and ordinary citizens are taking action to assert this important right. As I pack my bags to travel to Sri Lanka and Maldives, my journalism friends in Maldives are planning a series of events to raise awareness of press freedom. Best regards and I'll see you on May 15 in Male to begin training for both public relations officers and news managers. I also look forward to working with the very first class of journalism diploma students at the College of Higher Education. Let's make EVERY day press freedom day!

No comments: