Friday, May 21, 2010

A professional PIO


Ahmed Shiyam would be totally at home as a public information officer for any law enforcement agency in the United States. Even when he meets you for coffee, he's busy on the cell phone with requests from the news media. I first met him almost two years ago, when every police officer in the Maldives had to be sworn in under the new democratic constitution. He expertly handled all media requests from the TVM crews that I was supervising. So I was delighted when he agreed to be a co-presenter at the public relations workshop. He received police public relations training in Australia. Due in part to his efforts at transparency, the Maldives police force has transformed its image. Shiyam joined Hilmy, Ashiya and myself in leading small discussion groups at the workshop. I hope that he will continue to be a role model for other communications officers in this country.

No comments: