Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Young Asia Television

Today I ventured out in a taxi to the suburbs of Colombo to visit an innovative production house called Young Asia Television. The mound you see behind me is actually the mound in which their studio is built. Now that's what I call soundproofing! It's an eco-friendly design by a Norwegian architect and the whole operation reflects a relaxed and progressive attitude. Teams for various programs work together in collaborative "islands." The editing rooms were busy with producers, photogs, editors and presenters collaborating on stories that reflect this country's diversity. The programs are aired on various TV and radio channels and on youtube. The full array of Sri Lankan television has outlets that reflect different parts of the political spectrum and this is just one of them. I look forward to gaining a deeper understanding of the media landscape when I meet more TV journalists at the workshop tomorrow.My host at Young Asia, Jerome Sena, has assisted media trainers from the BBC and other organizations and he introduced me to capable editorial director, Sharmini Boyle, who generously shared her time and her insights. Thanks to both of you and your capable staff members for sharing your perspectives with me.

No comments: