Thursday, October 15, 2009

Ticket to Ride

At the final Face to Face breakfast, I had a moment to chat with Simon Talling Smith, The British Airways America Exec. VP who is as witty and charming one-on-one as he is at the podium, and would be a brilliant host if this enterprise is ever made into a reality show. I'd like to help make that happen. The Amazing Race meets The Apprentice meets Deal or No Deal. Then, it was time to leave the comfy cocoon of British Airways hospitality and head out on my own. The first thing I learned is that if a Londoner tells you something will only take 15 minutes, triple it, then triple it again. First, the hotel shuttle bus was delayed by an accident. Then, I split a cab with some of my fellow Face to Face contestants. The cab driver dropped us off at the wrong Heathrow terminal, but with heavy luggage in tow we doggedly marched on until we found the Heathrow Express. Using our free tickets from the Face to Face program, we zoomed into London. As promised, there were cabs available right outside Paddington station, but no one mentioned the gigantic waiting line. Add another hour, plus the actual cab ride to my hotel. But the transport troubles had an unexpected dividend: meeting some amazing women I might otherwise have missed. We learned in the business forum that entreprenuers are overwhelmingly men (90%) and among the women, few break the million dollar mark in annual sales, due to the juggling act most women perform and their fear of growing their business so much that they wouldn't have time for their families.


Spring Opara could very well break the mold. The military vet and working mom has designed premium greeting cards for the gay/lesbian (LGBT) market and she has been networking with the US Commerce Department to develop overseas markets.
The wacky train ride was also an opportunity to chat with real estate expert and her associate, who works with kids on the autistic spectrum. Those familiar with my reporting will know this is a subject close to my heart. I wish them all the best as they continue on to Spain.

No comments: