Sunday, October 18, 2009

Pub grub

After a full day of sleeping-in at the Vancouver studios, I woke up in time to find out I couldn't check in online for my India flight... it wanted my passport information, but wouldn't let me put it into the system. After two hours of struggling with the web site, a call to British Airways "web help" fixed the problem.On my last night in London I wanted a real pub experience and met up with my friend Judith Evans, who did a stellar job covering the Maldives election last year for Minivan news and is now with the Times of London. She just returned from a trip to Yemen, and wrote heartbreaking stories about displaced persons there. I appreciated her insights on how the Maldives media is evolving under the new government. We headed for a pub called "The Cow," known for good food, but it was closed, so we stumbled upon another excellent place, "The Prince Bonaparte." I washed down my goat cheese appetizer and my zuccini tarte main course with a proper pint of delicious Cornwall ale. the place was buzzing with interesting people and conversation. The food was excellent! Apparently the English are sensitive to their reputation for lousy food and celebrity chefs are all the rage. I'll hope to investigate this more on my next trip!

No comments: