Thursday, October 22, 2009

Visiting Rupavahini

Sri Lanka's national TV channel originates from a sprawling complex under heavy security. Three studios constantly stay busy with programs in both Sinhala and Tamil, and there are plans to launch a new English language channel in HD. My guide for this adventure was a participant in my workshop, director TMG Chandrasekara. I couldn't have asked for a better guide. I was very impressed with the professional quality of the studio work. I was there during the morning shows which are focused on women, but the entire place is more like a production center for everything from drama to youth programs. There is even an outdoor studio under a massive tree.
But for me, the highlight of the visit was the newsroom. I was greeted by the participants from the workshop and introduced to a group of enthusiastic and talented correspondents who are eager to seize the moment for redefining their country, now that the conflict with LTTE is officially over. Everyone sat down in the newsroom for a q and a session, and the health reporter showed me one of his stories on anti-smoking campaigns. We discussed ways to strengthen this work and prepare for the age of multimedia by making television news more viewer friendly and interactive. Of course, as a national channel, Rupavahini has a responsibility to broadcast government information, so it is not as unrestricted as private channels may be. But I was very encouraged by meeting the CEO, Karu Paranawithana. He reflected the feeling in this country that it is time to move forward with media, and everything else. I would be honored to be part of it and I hope that the conversation will continue. Many thanks to TMG, Vijaya and all the others who asked such great questions. Please friend me on facebook!

No comments: