Sunday, November 8, 2009

TV Maldives

It was great to reconnect with so many of my Maldivian friends on this trip, but a major disappointment was not being able to see some of the colleagues who worked so closely with my team during the four months we spent in Male prior to the presidential election last year. When you've come halfway around the world to see someone, it's hard to understand how they could be "too busy" to have a cup of coffee for an entire week. This picture of TVM, behind locked gates, sums up my frustration at not being able to congratulate those who have made so much progress personally and professionally. The highly polarized nature of politics and media may explain why many are afraid to stick their neck out. For that reason, I have not named the people I met with on this trip, except for those meetings that were simply socializing over coffee. It's important to me to remain neutral and open to all views, and I don't want people keeping score of how many DRP or MDP sympathizers I met with. I only care about good broadcast journalism, regardless of party.
My overall impression from watching TVM news is that the English bulletin is much improved, under the leadership of Afruh and a full staff. The look of the newscasts is very professional and when I saw a promo for the on-air talent, my heart burst with pride. I remember back to my first days at TVM, when no one had a job description beyond "newscaster" and anchoring assignments were passed around like a hot potato. It was especially good to see how many of my "kids" have grown into competent professionals, especially Liza Laurella, Moosa Waseem and Soddig, who covers the new president and did some excellent reports with standups from a recent official visit to India. Others are overseas pursuing higher studies and will make a huge contribution when they return home. On the downside, the program now tilts toward the current government and viewers tell me that the former "TV Maumoon" under the old regime has been replaced by "TV MDP." There is still too much "BOPSA" footage of meetings and too little effort to get the personal stories of real people, such as the civil servants who were protesting outside the parliament building.
I also sampled the newscasts on the private stations, DhiTV and VTV. Both could use coaching on their presentation, but they were more likely to present opposition views. By strengthening these newscasts, viewers will have a choice in the marketplace just like we do here in the US.

No comments: