Monday, August 10, 2009

The Multimedia Voice

This panel at AEJMC in Boston has me rethinking the whole idea of voice training for multimedia. With all due respect to my fellow panelists, I believe it is old thinking to expect multimedia journalists to adopt the classic "announcer" voice of broadcast news. In fact, whenever I hear that voice on the internet, it's usually mocking someone who wants to sound credible but isn't.
Internet media tolerates a wide diversity of voices, male or female and multi ethnic. But it's no longer the "we talk, you listen" school of announcing. Internet voices have an intention -- to inform, entertain, sell you something, persuade, help you solve a problem -- and they want you to TALK BACK. The voice must be engaging and approachable, like someone you'd want to meet for coffee at Starbucks. In other words, an articulate friend.

So, I won't be adopting the rubric that takes points off a student's grade for a dropped "t" or "ing." I also won't be emulating the professor who declared in his Texas twang that those who have a southern accent have no future in front of a camera and microphone.

My training focuses on making the most of the unique voice that you have and eliminating any distractions that would interfere with your message. Yes, it is important to focus on correct posture and breathing, but it is also important to write copy that is intended to be read out loud. It also doesn't do any good to fix the voice if the presenter's appearance and gestures are inappropriate. In short, you have to coach the whole person in talent performance. For more information, please visit my web site http://www.terryanzur.com/.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I totally agree with you. We don't need "announcer" voices in TV news or online. I didn't attend the AEJMC convention this year. I would have joined you in applauding plain talk and good writing, instead of voice coaching.

Mary Coffman
Broadcast Journalism Professor
Medill, Northwestern University