Thursday, August 7, 2008

A Clean Sweep

Now for a look behind the scenes on one of the biggest days in Maldivian history. The station chose this day to sweep the newsroom, which had accumulated years of debris behind the desks that were now being moved.
Bigger improvements are needed, especially the workflow in the editing rooms. The process of ingesting video into the avid is very disorganized. The memories are overloaded. Reporters try to do everything at the last minute and then the machines crash. There are frequent power outages in the newsroom that cause reporters to lose the scripts in their computers.
The 8 pm bulletin was simply not up to the standard of the rest of the coverage and the 9 pm English news was a complete train wreck. The editing system crashed again just before airtime, causing three packages to miss their slot and leaving the anchor with no video of the biggest story of the day. TVM can do better!

The newly independent journalists have to realize that they can no longer count on the VIP crew to hand them the "official" story. They must be prepared to deliver the best possible coverage on their own. In the remaining days of the program I hope we can plan some meetings to address these issues.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Today we went to the Clean Sweep show at our friend from school's house. Although we just bought a home and times are tight we wanted to support our friend and the show. When my young sons, my Corgi, Dash and I got there we were greeted by the very rude and unkempt producer who told us that Dash could not attend. No worries. I'll keep him leashed by the road with me while the boys looked for items. Uh Oh! Not good! As I was talking to my friend who had just purchased an old picnic table that she was donating to the school garden Dash peed on its leg. Although I missed this event it was brought to my attention by the PRODUCER SCREAMING AT ME FROM ACROSS THE STREET!! Mea Culpa! She continued to elevate her voice in front of the adult and child shoppers alike bringing the mood down to say a tad less than happy. Although table owner and I requested that she stop raising her voice and that her behavior was unprofessional and disrespectful she continued her tirade until I said I was leaving. While I went to scoop up my children without buying them anything as I promised her staff even concurred that she was new and that she was "out of line". As we were walking away she made some loud crack at my back after I told her that I would be blogging the incident. With two camera guys next to her snickering this felt equivalent to my old high school days of immaturity!Listen, I know that it's just me and a few other viewers at this point who won't watch anymore but guess what there's a thing called "word of mouth". With so many choices on TV who needs to watch something with a back story like this!
What a joke!