Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Back to Maldives!

The contract is signed for a return visit to TV Maldives! I leave for Male on June 30. I can hardly wait to see everyone in the newsroom. I hear they have been doing well in my absence, even televising the main opposition party's primary debate. Some naysayers have dismissed the changes at TVM as "cosmetic" and it is true that some of the changes ARE cosmetic. However, many of the changes are also substantive, now that the journalists have the editorial freedom to cover the news and not just read press releases.
I've been keeping up with developments in Maldives through the Thursday Brief published weekly by the Ministry of Legal Reform, Information and the Arts. It looks like the election is on track for early August, but there is not a specific date as far as I know.

No comments: