Wednesday, April 23, 2008

To Boldly Go

Welcome to Ferenganar. For those of you who are not Star Trek Fans, that's the planet of the Ferengi rat people who only care about ultra capitalism and making money. It's also a pretty good description of Las Vegas. The best thing about coming here every year for RTNDA is Quark's Bar, the Trek theme restaurant at the Las Vegas Hilton. The food is great, reasonably priced, and you can't beat the blue beer (illegal Romulan ale).
This year, my 17-year-old son Andrew came with me to the RIAS reunion. He is NOT interested in journalism, but wants to live and work in Europe someday as an international banker or businessman. He's also the biggest Star Trek fan in the galaxy.
The worst thing about coming to Las Vegas for RTNDA is... Las Vegas. I don't gamble and the hotel rooms are outrageously priced during the convention, so I just fly in for the day when I am invited to speak or attend a function. This year I made the roundtrip three times... ugh. Although I realize the advantages of RTNDA combining with the huge NAB show next door, it would be nice to have the convention in a different city for a change.

No comments: